Friday, March 1, 2013

Waning Melancholy


A year ago, I waxed melancholy on my blog for the first time. (See Waxing Melancholy) In that entry, I vaguely pondered the fluidity of importance and cyclical nature of humans. I also posed the question of whether my values might be different in a year from the time I composed the entry and whether I might again value the things I found important a year prior. Well, here we are, one year later. So??

I must say that many of the things that were weighing heavily on my mind a year ago still plague me today. I find it very interesting that I just so happened to go back and read that old blog entry and find that it just so happens to be a exactly a year later, and I just so happen to’ve been writing about very similar issues lately related to regrets, failure, etc. Coincidence? Perhaps.

To be candid, it’s been a heck of a year for me, full of what people often call “trials.” I just call it life. Aside from all the environmental turmoil of life, I’ve spent a lot of the last year in what might look like an identity crisis to an on-looker. Generally, I’ve been in a more philosophical mindset and have been getting back in touch with the creative aspects of my personality that felt squelched over a period of several years. For a while, I got very caught up in my “image,” trying to conform to an ideal that I thought was acceptable to and esteemed by society.  In the first several years of my early adulthood, I felt that I must put what I saw as childish things aside and become a responsible grown-up, forsaking the unconventionality and quirkiness that had characterized my childhood and adolescent years.

I grew up being called “weird.” As a child, I embraced the word. I reveled in being different from my peers. I felt special because I was my unique self. As I entered adolescence, I began to feel self-conscious to stand out from the crowd. I tried to lay low in the mainstream, but that seemed ineffective, so I did my best to blend in with various counterculture groups. After high school, I cursed my wild and free spirit and decided that I would do anything in my power to be just like regular old everybody else. I wanted to be normal and boring. It was so foreign to anything I’d ever known. My highest aspiration was to become just like one of the soccer-mom-looking ladies on the covers of those generic recipe magazines they sell at the grocery store checkout. Long gone were the days of childhood dreams of growing up to become a world-renowned scientist/first female President of the United States/game show host. I wanted a normal career, a perfect and traditional family, and a quiet little life in Suburbia. I bought khaki slacks and loafers and button-down blouses. I traded in my facial piercings, homemade belts, and off-beat purses for an understated silver necklace and wristwatch. I cooked. I cleaned. My hair, make-up, and fingernails were simple and plain. The majority of my creative expression was channeled into Martha Stewart-type home crafts or into teaching Children’s Church. I was miles away from the boisterous little girl I once was, always ready for jokes and adventure. Anymore, in social situations, I just smiled politely and proficiently engaged in all the expected and clichĂ© small talk.  

After a while of living as a Stepford wife, I realized that I was denying my true self and that trying to live as this unrealistically “perfect” and painfully boring stereotype was killing me inside. I can’t pinpoint the exact moment it happened, but it is as if I woke up one day and realized that there was so much more to life, and I was so busy worrying about being just a certain way that I WAS MISSING IT!! I was wasting an incredible amount of time worrying what other people thought about me, and I had lost focus on the pursuits that I truly enjoyed. There are SO many interesting things in this world, and having perfectly pressed creases in the sleeves of my all my blouses is NOT one of them!

I guess that’s all part of what was on my mind a year ago when I wrote the Waxing Melancholy entry. I feel that over the last couple of years, I’ve begun taking more risks, being truer to myself, and carpĂ©ing more diem. Although, not playing it safe can lead to an increased risk for failure and pain, but those are part of life, and by experiencing them, I feel more like I am living. It’s better this way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment