Friday, March 2, 2012

Waxing Melancholy

“Everybody thinks their way of living is the best.”

I said this to my friend years ago, and while the statement is not 100% grammatically correct, I think it rings true. My friend still quotes me on this phrase, but often, it is to indirectly express his disapproval at my decisions.

I have come to realize that not every decision in life is of the utmost importance.

You may be reading this and thinking, “Amber, this is quite an atypical blog for you.” You wouldn't be wrong. Lately, I've been getting back in touch with my more pensive side, thinking about life, purpose, meaning...you know, tortured poet kind of stuff.

So, back to the issue of importance. What is important? And is it really that important to categorize whether things are important, and if so, to what degree? Maybe sometimes. Could I be a little more vague? Perhaps.

What I do know is that things that seemed important to me one year ago no longer seem so crucial. And who knows? Maybe one year from now, they will again. I think, like all things in nature, people are cyclical. Of course, my central values remain static, but the rest of my ideas are more fluid and kind of ebb and flow around the midpoint. Will I regret some decisions later on? Of course, at least somewhat. Life comes with regrets. But, are they really that important? In the grand scheme of things, most likely not. I don't want to live a life of regret for the things I've done, but it seems just as likely that I may regret the things I did not do. I don't want to be ruled by this fear.

Why did I put this entry on the Internet for all to see instead of in my journal where my pseudo philosophical babblings usually go? I'm not sure, but I have a feeling I might regret it. But right now, I don't care.
.....
If you read this whole entry waiting for something witty, sorry. No refunds.

1 comment:

  1. I have found that the older I get, the less and less concrete things seem. There are many more gray areas. I knew everything in my early 20's....now not so much; but that's ok. I think this all comes with maturity. :)

    ReplyDelete