Sunday, April 13, 2014

Take a Peep


It’s Easter time, and that means it’s Peep season! I love Peeps so much!  I definitely prefer the chicks to the bunnies. In my opinion, they are so much more adorable than the bunnies, and they have a better ratio of marshmallow to sugary coating because they are thicker in the middle. I also think they’re funner to eat because of their little tails. I like to eat the tail first, right around the fold, leaving an odd sort of serpentine chicken head. That is, if I’m eating the Peep raw. My absolute favorite way to eat a marshmallow Peep is to toast it. I like to put it on a spit and slow roast it over an open stove eye until its little eyes melt off, it becomes slightly plump, and its sugary coating begins to caramelize. Delicious! But, if I have to eat my Peeps raw, I prefer them slightly stale. I am not the only one who feels this way. There are entire Internet forums dedicated to this topic. And, I apparently have too much time on my hands.

This is what a Peep looks like when toasted to perfection. 
Over the last couple of years, I’ve been noticing new and bizarre flavors of my favorite Easter delicacy. Although my interest has been piqued, I hadn’t dared purchase any of these deviant new flavors just for myself. However, recently, I bought three of the wacky new flavors for the kids at work, and, of course, I sampled the leftovers. The following is my review of the flavors Sour Watermelon, Sweet Lemonade, and Party Cake (both raw and toasted).

Left to right: Party Cake, Sweet Lemonade, Classic Pink, Sour Watermelon - sitting on the stovetop, awaiting their fate. 





Sour Watermelon:
A pink marshmallow with bright green sugary coating. Based on the name, I was expecting something quite sour, but I found this Peep to be pretty mild. To me, it was reminiscent of Watermelon Bubble Yum. It was okay raw, but I don’t recommend toasting this one. It was like hot, melty watermelon gum.




Sweet Lemonade:
A white Peep with yellow flecks on the coating. This peep had a nice, subtle lemon flavor, which, as far as I could tell, was only in the coating. The inside just tasted like a regular marshmallow. Overall, it was pleasant when enjoyed raw, but when toasted, it was transformed into a lovely lemon meringue dessert, which I very much enjoyed. 


Party Cake:
Teal green exterior with multi-colored flecks; cream-colored on the inside. This peep tasted just like birthday cake. There’s not much else to say about it. Toasted, it was nothing special, just tasted like toasted marshmallow and birthday cake. 







I’d have to say that the classic toasted Peep is still my favorite. I’ve seen other varieties, like Blue Raspberry and Bubble Gum, but I doubt I will end up trying them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment