Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Excuse Me, Do You Work Here?

Everywhere I go, I seem to get asked the question, “Excuse me, do you work here?” This happens to me all the time. I mean, All. The. Time. And I never do. Work there, that is.

Today, I went to the craft store in my bed clothes – sweat pants, an old t-shirt, flip flops, no make-up. This was one of those quick outings for emergency art supplies on which I was hoping not to run into anyone I know. As I was trying to make a speedy exit from the store, I was stopped by an older gentleman. “Excuse me, ma’am, do you work here?” The employees at this particular craft store wear blue vests. I was not wearing a blue vest, or even the color blue at all. I told him that I did not work there. He pointed to the employee working at the cash register, indicating that he could identify store personnel, and said, “Well I guess there’s just one employee here, and she’s busy at the cash register. I’m looking for the craft paper, and I know it’s over that way somewhere.” He gestured to one side of the store. I apologized that I could not help him, wished him luck in his search, and suggested that he head in the direction which he was pointing.

This kind of incident happens to me on a very regular basis, especially in grocery and retail stores. I don’t think it has anything to do with my appearance, because it happens whether I am dressed professionally or casually, in my PJs, holding my purse, pushing a buggy full of groceries, or checking items off of my shopping list. It often happens in places where the employees wear distinctive uniforms, and I am dressed quite differently. It used to baffle me, but now I’m rather used to it. People regularly stop me and ask me if I am an employee, or they just assume that I am and ask me to help them. I often get asked questions such as, “Where could I find the toilet paper?” or “Where do y’all keep the dish soap?” Luckily for these misguided shoppers, I am quite familiar with the layout of my local grocery stores, and I am more than happy to help a lost patron find their way. Most times, I don’t correct them and tell them that I am not an employee, just a private citizen also shopping for toilet paper; I just go with it, show them to the TP, and politely thank them for their business. I do, however, draw the line at carrying their bags to the car.

The only theory I can come up with as to why this happens to me so often is the way I carry myself. I guess you could say that when I am shopping, I walk with a sense of purpose. I usually know where I’m going and head to my destination without hesitation. I suppose that could give me a sort of “I am working, not shopping” vibe. I wonder if this kind of thing happens to other people as much as it happens to me. When you shop, do you frequently get mistaken for a sales associate? Or is it just me?

2 comments:

  1. Probably a number of things: the way you carry yourself, posture, glasses, smiling at strangers upon eye contact, etc. It all makes you seem approachable, and in a dearth of employees, approachable is just the thing for a wandering shopper desperate to find that next item on their list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that theory! I also like the word "dearth"!

      Delete