Sunday, November 4, 2012

Secret Ingredient Chili


It seems like everybody’s got a “secret ingredient” that makes their chili superior to everyone else’s. Some use chocolate; some use beer…sugar…soda… We’ve all heard the stories of these unusual additions jazzing up the ho-hum, everyday chili recipes that we’re used to.  Well, I was making chili this evening, and I thought to myself, ‘Let’s put some of these secret ingredients to the test…Ah, heck! Let’s just throw ‘em all in there!’ As I was standing over my bubbling cauldron, cackling proudly at my brilliant creation, I decided to call it “Secret Ingredient Chili.”

When I was done making my masterpiece chili, I had the idea to see how much popularity it can gain on the Pinterest, so I am posting it on my blog. I think it’ll really take the Pinterest-world by storm. It’s delicious! So good it’ll make you smack your grandma! Guaranteed to snag you the man of your dreams and win you first prize in the chili cook-off at the county fair!*



(I didn’t really measure the amounts of ingredients as I was cooking, so the recipe below is my best estimate of how you, too, can create “Secret Ingredient Chili” at home.)




“Secret Ingredient Chili”

1 lb ground turkey (or beef…I used turkey)
1 small onion, chopped
1 c diced bell pepper (yellow, red, and orange)
2 cloves minced garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 packet mild chili seasoning mix
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 can beer
½ can cola
2 cans light red kidney beans (drained)
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt & pepper

Ok…I’ll do my best to describe how I made this chili. I’ve never done a recipe on my blog before…

Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven on high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper. Season with salt, and sauté until peppers and onions begin to soften. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and continue to sauté until fragrant.

Add the ground turkey to the pan. Season with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.  When the turkey is browned, stir in chili seasoning mix, garlic powder, chili powder, and cocoa. (I would’ve skipped the seasoning packet and developed my own seasoning blend if I’d known I was going to publish this recipe, but I’d already bought the packet. You could increase the amount of garlic and chili powders and add cumin if you prefer.)

Alright, here comes the good part! Pour in the beer! I used Yuengling Light, because that’s what I had in the fridge. I reckon you could use whatever beer you like. I bet a stout beer would taste very good in this chili.

Next, stir in the beans and tomatoes. At this point, when I was making my chili, I noticed a half-full can of coke on the counter and decided to pour that in as well. I think it was a good decision. I tasted my chili, and it begged for a little sugar, so I gave it a few shakes from the sugar canister, which I also feel  was a good decision.

Reduce the heat, and simmer the chili for about 1.5 hours.

Voila!

I suggest serving with a spoonful of sour cream and a corn muffin.

Disclaimer: No grandmothers were actually smacked due to the consumption of this chili.

*Guarantees not redeemable for value of any kind. 




No comments:

Post a Comment