Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Holly Hobby



Can a person have too many hobbies? If anyone would know, it would be me. I’m what I call a “hobbyist,” meaning that one of my chief hobbies is collecting hobbies. I’ve taken up countless hobbies, most of with which I never get too deeply involved.  I tend to get really gung-ho about something, decide I want to fully pursue it, and then get distracted by something else. This is very frustrating to my husband, who over the years has witnessed me dedicate much time, space, and money to various abandoned pursuits. What can I say? I’m a Renaissance woman with a multitude of interests! I’ve compiled a list of my current hobbies. (List-making is a hobby of mine, you know.) These are the hobbies which I am currently pursuing, just beginning to dabble in, or haven’t completely abandoned yet:

  1. Hobbying (collecting hobbies)
  2. List-making
  3. Writing
  4. Drawing
  5. Hula-hoop making
  6. Hula-hooping
  7. Harmonica
  8. Fiddle
  9. Painting
  10. Miscellaneous crafting
  11. Cooking
  12. Baking
  13. Hiking
  14. Running
  15. Blogging
  16. Planking
  17. Owling
  18. Singing
  19. Rock collecting
  20. Coin & currency collecting
  21. Plant identification
  22. Clover hunting & collecting
  23. Learning American Sign Language
  24. Puzzles
  25. Jewelry making
  26. Reading
  27. Nail art
  28. Wine connoisseurship
  29. Seashell collecting
  30. Amateur linguistic phonology
  31. Telekinesis
  32. Drugs
  33. Sex
  34. Rock ‘n’ roll
  35. I’m just kidding about those last 3.
  36. Or am I?
  37. Are you still reading this?
  38. DIY home improvement projects
  39. Pet photography
  40. Radio surfing
  41. Observing obscure holidays (Today is National Pickle Day!)
  42. Celebrity impressions (I do a mean Aaron Neville, let me tell ya.)

Again, those are just my current hobbies, not the ones I’ve long since given up (e.g. sculpting, phrenology, building a time machine…) I think I have a problem. It can be frustrating to have so many unfinished projects, but then again, I’m still young, and hopefully, I’ll have a long life ahead of me to devote to my pursuits. I'm counting down the days till retirement and becoming a full-time hobbyist!

This is a picture of me planking on planks. [Not recommended for the novice planker.]
I will now try to include photos on all blog posts in case you want to link to my blog on Pinterest! (You know, if you want...no pressure.)



1 comment: