Friday, April 22, 2011

Tweetly Deetly Deet!

Most folks who know me know that I am technologically inept. Well, maybe not completely inept, but way behind for my age. I think my computer skills peaked in 1999. I was probably the last person to jump on the Facebook bandwagon. Even my grandmother had a Facebook before I did. (True story.)

I have no desire for all the high-tech toys and gadgetry. I don't have a smart phone. In fact, my phone is probably mildly retarded. I have only two requirements when buying a new cell phone: that it flips open and that it doesn't have too glossy a finish. (I have this neurotic hang-up about smudges and fingerprints.) I thought my phone had an app, but I'm told it's just a gif. I don't know exactly what that means.

I'm still learning to use i-tunes and burn CDs for my old hand-me-down iPod that I got from Nathan. It's one of the old blocky-looking white ones. Nowadays, I can't tell people's iPods from their phones, and I certainly can't understand for the life of me why everyone wants touchscreens! Smudges! Ewww!

Really, I'm pretty impressed that I got this blog up and running all by myself.

With all that being said, I will now discuss my latest technology adventure – Twitter. Nathan convinced me that if I'm going to have a blog, I must have a Twitter, so I set one up. I don't quite get it yet. I'm pretty sure I now grasp the concept of a “hashtag,” although I can't say I fully agree with it. But, I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to pick from a pool of millions of strangers to follow. Actually, the idea kind of makes me feel like a stalker. Although, I do like the idea of strangers following me. (On Twitter, not in real life.)

Funny, as I was just sitting here pondering how to get my Twitter-ball rolling, Nathan emerged from the basement with what sounded like an ingenious scheme to make me renowned Twitter-wide. I didn't really understand it, but that's okay because I rely on him for all my technology needs anyway. It's like always having a grandson around to program your VCR when you need one. Or your fancy-schmancy DVD blue ray thingies...

So, if you're a twit (one who uses Twitter) too, you can come find me on Twitter, and I'll be your Twitter friend. Or we can follow each other, or be twitter-pated, or whatever it is we do on there. My Twitter-handle is FromTheMundane. Catchy, huh?

3 comments:

  1. lol "twitter-pated"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Mr. Mitigation, for sharing such a pertinent and timely passage. Anyone who can't see its relevance to my blog entry is undeniably not as deep as we are.

    ReplyDelete